|Course requirement||STCW recommended|
|Duration in hours||40|
The subject covered should serve as a valuable introduction for those who have little experience in oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting and is also very useful for experienced engineers.
Trainees will gain considerable benefit as they will explore and experience a variety of oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting techniques. The course includes specific principles of gas welding and cutting with their application in practise, using various techniques in operation.
The course is of limited duration and therefore cannot be considered as providing comprehensive gas welding and cutting training, which would take much longer.
This course is primarily intended for marine engineers who will be responsible to perform oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting for the repair and maintenance on board ship, but it is equally suitable for engine ratings to perform their duties and responsibilities safely and efficiently during their on board employment.
Upon completion of the course, trainees will gain sound knowledge about:
- using safe practices at all times
- understanding the parts and functionalities
- the correct procedures for setting up and securing work any given oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting operation
- the proper use of oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting equipment and accessories
- practical tests for recognition of various materials
- selecting the appropriate rods and fluxes in accordance to the required material
- proper procedure prior, during and after hot work operation on board
- welding and cutting faults and equipment for control and measuring welds and grooves
- proper maintenance of the oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting accessories and workplace
This training course is intended for marine engineers and for ratings with on board experience.
- Introduction to oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting equipment and accessories, purpose, potentials and maintenance
- Introduction to safety procedures prior, during and after oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting operations
- Introduction to the equipment and tools which are used during oxygen and acetylene gas welding and cutting operations
- Introduction to the tests for material identification
- Introduction to welding, cutting, soldering and brazing techniques, joints, grooves and faults
- Practical work